I have some of the same feelings, although I will note that Discourse allows
you to interact via email pretty well if you wish.

Personally, prefer email as it's "all in one place" and I'm not having to find
a site somewhere, but either way is OK with me. Discourse is one of the better
forum software at the moment in my opinion.