I understand! To achieve exactly that just use thin on your remote webserver
(and apache or nginx as proxy..if you need the setting I can try to help but
you can certainly find it on google too) then you can just drop your script via
FTP and it will auto reload remotely too. Even on the days where I had 1000+
daily visitors thin did work very well so I would use that vs. passenger (I do
use passenger for the multi users hosting as it does have some benefits e.g. we
also run PHP and Perl in parallel and give more choices to developers to run
scrips in several languages in parallel).

Another simple solution would be this: whenever you upload your script just
upload restart.txt too and it will work. Sorry if this is not ideal but I don't
think that there are other options with passenger + apache.
Best Regards and Happy 2013
David