On Jan 3, 2013, at 2:07 AM, Koaps Freeman <koapsfree...@gmail.com> wrote:

> cool, I got that running so I will play with it. I guess as long as the
> camping server stays up there's no issues, but if it goes down, and apache
> sees that then I have to restart apache to recover.
You would just need to restart camping as the server is embedded. From
experience if you use thin it is very reliable so as easy as camping ......rb
and it works. I never had to restart the thin webserver in more than 1 year

> No biggie, at least reloader is seeing the code changes and recovering from
> errors.
>
> Thanks again.

you are welcome

> Now to figure out how to use camping and play with some code.
>
> I need to figure out the proper way to setup a activerecord connection and
> use it in my code.

I think Camping omnibus will include all you need to use activerecord with the
default sqlite db
.camping.db and you can use it. Very little personal experience on this as I do
avoid AR and use my own bindings to couchdb that works very well for me and my
live proejcts. More experienced campers will jump in if needed :)

> I was able to make a db.rb which does a require 'active_record' and
> establishes a connection.
>
> I then have a Test class that inherits from ActiveRecord::Base.
>
> I wasn't really sure the best way forward from there.
>
> Because I wanted static content available and saw a post about using
> Rack::Static I just setup my module with a Test.find(1) query to pull a
> record from my DB
>
> module Test
>   $test = Test.find(1)
>   use Rack::Static, :urls => ['/static']
> end
>
> Now in my views I have a line like:
>
> p "Pg query: #{$test.text}"
>

> It prints data from my db/

your db is sqlite or a static file db ? you might want to try kirbybase for
really simple ruby based db but perhaps you have something else in mind :)

> I'm just not sure if using a global is the right way to go about it.
>
> I tried a instance variable (@test.text) but that didn't seem to work. Still
> getting a handle on ruby OO.

Will leave it to more experienced campers :)