-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Donna Dierker
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 6:34 PM
To: Caret, SureFit, and SuMS software users
Subject: Re: [caret-users] using caret for a meta-analysis

Hi Leon,

Shawn has done exactly what you want to do, so if anyone knows the
pitfalls, he does. ;-)

Besides Shawn's useful notes, make sure you read sections 1.2.3 and 5.2
of this tutorial, if you haven't done so already:

CARET_TUTORIAL_SEPT-06
http://sumsdb.wustl.edu:8081/sums/directory.do?id=6585200

This tutorial includes a spec file intended for this purpose. The ones
in the Caret fmri_mapping directory are not really intended for use as
"visualization" specs; rather, Caret uses them when mapping fMRI data
onto PALS_B12. You can, however, use the average fiducial surfaces in
that directory for your foci-related purposes. Note that studies report
results in stereotactic spaces other than MNI (e.g., AFNI users report
true Talairach-Tournoux (T88) coordinates, which differs significantly
from MNI -- see http://imaging.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/imaging/MniTalairach;
wustl.edu researchers typically use "711-2*" space -- somewhere between
T88 and MNI). See
http://brainvis.wustl.edu/help/pals_volume_normalization/ for additional
details.

Reading tutorial section 5.2 may clarify some of this, but you're likely
to have residual questions/confusion about these spaces.

On 12/08/2006 10:24 AM, Christ, Shawn E. wrote:

> Hi Leon,
>
> I have been working with David, Donna, and John on utilizing Caret for
> precisely this purpose with respect to an ALE-type meta-analysis on
> deception that we have submitted for publication. You can download a
> copy of our spec file, etc. at
> http://sumsdb.wustl.edu:8081/sums/directory.do?id=6600996
>
> I've also uploaded a copy of my personal notes on how to transform
> foci using Caret. They can be found at
> http://www.shawnchrist.com/FociTransform.pdf
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Best,
>
> -Shawn

> Shawn Christ, Ph.D.
>
> Assistant Professor
>
> Department of Psychological Sciences
>
> University of Missouri-Columbia
>
> 210 McAlester Hall
>
> Columbia, MO 65211

Donna L. Dierker
(Formerly Donna Hanlon; no change in marital status -- see
http://home.att.net/~donna.hanlon for details.)