Disabling the registry cleaner brought load average on our (4) servers down to
0.01-0.20 (from 4.0-15.0).

cas.properties:

ticket.registry.cleaner.startdelay=-1

(value could have been zero, but -1 seemed more mnemonic of the intent)

Tom.

On Oct 14, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Tom Poage
<tfpo...@ucdavis.edu<mailto:tfpo...@ucdavis.edu>> wrote:

Looks like we found the source of the load issue.

Best we can tell, somewhere about 4.2.5 the RegistryCleaner embedded in the
DefaultTicketRegistry was refactored into a TicketRegistryCleaner that’s now
automatically picked up and started for all registry types (*). This cleaner
walks the entire cache map, by default every two minutes, and by chunks with an
exclusive lock. Multiply that by 50k entries and several servers all competing
to do the same thing and it’s no wonder there’s some load. :-)

Question now is whether to disable on all nodes, or enable on only one in the
cluster. Caches like Hazelcast and Ehcache have a time-to-live eviction policy,
so it seems to me the registry cleaner is unnecessary for this type of cache.

The CAS code suggests the cleaner can be disabled, albeit somewhat indirectly,
by setting the “ticket.registry.cleaner.startdelay” property to less than or
equal to zero.

Tom.

* https://github.com/apereo/cas/commit/c1cbde11c5722e1930357d3dc3bdb6d4cffa8214