We have the latest tomcat 7 servers

In my POM I have set <app.server></app.server>

so that it pulls down the cas-server-webapp overlay
I do a mvn clean compile package then copy the war to
the webapps directory of the tomcat server. I then get a magnitude of errors
like it thinks its a spring boot application.

I have worked through
https://apereo.github.io/2018/02/06/cas52-gettingstarted-overlay/

and
https://apereo.github.io/2016/10/04/casbootoverlay/
thus does not tell me much ....

One of the errors:

2018-02-15 05:37:08,530 ERROR [org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication]
- <Application startup failed>
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Failed to
process import candidates for configuration class
[org.apereo.cas.web.CasWebApplication]; nested exception is
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to read meta-data for class
org.apereo.cas.config.CasEmbeddedContainerTomcatConfiguration
        at
org.springframework.context.annotation.ConfigurationClassParser.processDeferredImportSelectors(ConfigurationClassParser.java:556)

~[spring-context-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.context.annotation.ConfigurationClassParser.parse(ConfigurationClassParser.java:185)

~[spring-context-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]
        at
org.springframework.context.annotation.ConfigurationClassPostProcessor.processConfigBeanDefinitions(ConfigurationClassPostProcessor.java:308)

~[spring-context-4.3.12.RELEASE.jar:4.3.12.RELEASE]

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: class path resource
[org/apereo/cas/config/CasEmbeddedContainerTomcatConfiguration.class]
cannot be opened because it does not exist

MAYBE I AM missing a property?