Henry and/or Dave can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that if you checked the "use lightweight MAC" box in the 10GbE core, then it would instantiate the Berkeley core rather than the Xilinx one. In this case you shouldn't need the Xilinx 10GbE core.

The underlying Berkeley core has a few limitations (like you can only clock-in 64 bit numbers because it can't handle non-64bit boundaries). These are transparent to you and for the most part you don't need to worry about 'em. The only limitation of interest is that the Berkeley receive side does not do full error-correction on the Virtex-II devices to save resources. This will not be the case on ROACH as it has a fixed-IP core for doing this.

Jason