On 12/08/2017 01:04 AM, Jean Borsenberger wrote:
I knew that correlators could operate using only the sign bit trough the van-vleck correction and total-power denormalization, but I did not know that this also applies to spectrometers. I will look into it.

"To the extent of my (imperfect) knowledge, this does not apply to spectrometers.  IIRC, even for a correlator, this is under a no-interference" and "white gaussian input" assumptions which are unlikely to be true in a heavy RFI environment.

PS RFI power being 17X signal power is a bit high but not insane.  In several systems I've worked on, the interference power is O(8x) signal.  You might want to be worried about nonlinearity in your ADCs as the RFI drives it close to the rails.  If you have strong narrowband RFI, be especially concerned with intermodulation products mixing signal and RFI to interesting places, which we believe are apparent at the OVRO-LWA (we are fortunate that they mix into a non-science band)

Cheers!

--Ryan