Hi Xavier

I understand your problem -- we face similar impulsive RFI at the ATA. You are trying to "observe through" the periods of RFI, hence need a lot of bits. A method we sometimes use is to "blank" the spectrometer output if the input signal exceeds a certain threshold. When the RFI is so dominant, do you really trust your ability to make linear measurements of the sky signal? Nonlinearities in the response of your amplifiers and digitizers could corrupt the sky signal by splattering the RFI power all across the frequency spectrum. Sometimes it is better to bite the bullet and simply discard observations where strong signals are present.  If you did that, you could carry on with 8-bits.

No easy solutions, and let us know how you solve the problem!

Gerry