I remember this conversation last year. If there is a marked rapid decline
in song birds as reported, then something has occurred in the past couple
years that is wiping our birds out. Habitat loss is a gradual slow process
that would not be so readily noticed on a wide scale from year to year. The
weather patterns, I don't believe were bad enough for massive mortality
events (although I haven't looked into this in full depth). Wind farms keep
popping up, but again its a gradual pressure that wouldn't manifest itself
in 1-2 years for such reported rapid declines. The only thing I can think
of is if there is a disease (west nile?) that is affecting songbirds and
other species? This could explain two poor breeding seasons. Does anyone
know if this is being reported in species of songbirds???

Dave

>>> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
>>> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds