I walked around much of Sapsucker Woods with visiting scientist Martin
Stervander.  It was by far the best morning of the spring for me, probably
a top-ten day for me ever in the sanctuary, all the more so because we
picked up many lifers for Martin.  The treetops from Sherwood Platform past
the Charley Harper Bench all the way to the road were teeming with great
numbers of at least 19 warbler species, including CAPE MAY (4+ M, 1 F),
BAY-BREASTED (3+), TENNESSEE (3+, one confirmed by sight), BLACKBURNIAN
(8+), NORTHERN PARULA (7+), PINE (1 M, surprising to see by Fuller
Wetlands, not near any pines – confirmed by photo), BLACK-THROATED BLUE (4
M, 1 F), BLACK-THROATED GREEN (6+), CHESTNUT-SIDED (6+), NASHVILLE (2,
heard only), BLACK-AND-WHITE (1 seen, 1+ heard only), WILSON’S (seen by
Martin, missed by me), and one HOODED (heard only, but I feel sure).
Northern Waterthrush would have made 20 warbler species for the morning,
but somehow we didn’t hear any along the Woodleton Boardwalk.  We also
found a couple of YELLOW-THROATED VIREOS and BLUE-HEADED VIREOS.

Mark Chao