Dick Dickerson tried to do the same thing at Caltech around the same time.
The major problem with cooling equipment was that the Picker goniometer
had lots of metal in it, and each of the metal pieces cooled and
contracted differently, so the alignment was always off. Nice idea, but
not useful. That's when they got the idea to just cool the sample.

Yes, Sten Samson's device was elegant in a number of ways, and we could
collect 16-20K data for weeks on it.

Bernie Santarsiero