1.  Yes, Ion Exchange (not just Anion as we don't know anything about
their protein (unless I missed an email)) is a great capture step if you
have the time to mess about.

2.  When I have been refolding recently, after the refolding step we have
found that a good, old-fashioned Ammonium sulphate cut step (well, two of
them) has worked really, really well.  It takes a bit of tinkering, but it
really does work a treat.  Email me if you want to know about inner design
of such an experiment.  We are working with an untagged version of the
protein as we use yet another affinity step that doesn't require it.......
see below.

3.  If you know something about your protein, you might be able to use a
different affinity step to cature it also.

Heparin - Your protein may interact with a heparin column, even if you
have no reason to think it will.

Blue HP - Actually, the only reason I mention this one is that it has
worked so well for one of the proteins I am working on at the mo.  GE
reckon if your protein has an affinity for nucleotides, nicotinamides blah
blah blah it might interact with your protein.  This can be a really
powerful capture column if it does.

4.  A great tag to capture it would be a Z-tag.

cheers

charlie