There seems to be an epidemic of papers with I/Sigma > 3 (sometime much larger). In fact such cases have become so frequent that I fear some people start to believe that this is the proper procedure. I don't know where that has come from as the I/Sigma ~ 2 criterion has been established long ago and many consider that even a tad conservative. It simply pains me to see people going to the most advanced synchrotrons to boost their highest resolution data and then simply throw away much of it.

I don't know what has caused this wave of high I/Sigma threshold use but here are some ideas

- High I/Sigma cutoffs are normal for (S/M)AD data sets where a more strict focus on data quality is needed.
Perhaps some people have started to think this is the norm.

- For some dataset Rsym goes up strongly while I/SigI is still reasonable. I personally believe this is due to radiation damage which affects Rsym (which compares reflections taken after different amounts of exposure) much more than I/SigI which is based on individual reflections. A good test would be to see if processing only the first half of the dataset improves Rsym (or better Rrim)

- Most detectors are square and if the detector is too far from the crystal then the highest resolution data falls beyond the edges of the detector. In this case one could, and should, still process data into the corners of the detector. Data completeness at higher resolution may suffer but each additional reflection still represents an extra restraint in refinement and a Fourier term in the map. Due to crystal symmetry the effect on completeness may even be less than expected.

Bart