Does the position of this "inflection point" depend on the redundancy? Maybe it
does not; for high-redundancy data one would simply get a much higher
corresponding Rsym.

On 3/3/11 11:13 AM, "Ed Pozharski" <epozh...@umaryland.edu> wrote:

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 16:02 +0100, Vellieux Frederic wrote:
> For myself, I decide on the high resolution cutoff by looking at the
> Rsym vs resolution curve. The curve rises, and for all data sets I
> have
> processed (so far) there is a break in the curve and the curve shoots
> up. To near vertical. This "inflexion point" is where I decide to
> place
> the high resolution cutoff, I never look at the I/sigma(I) values nor
> at
> the Rsym in the high resolution shell.

Fred,

while your procedure is definitely more sophisticated than what I do,
let me point out that the Rsym is genuinely a bad measure for this, as
it depends strongly on redundancy.  Does more robust measures (e.g.
Rpim) show similar "inflexion"?  I suspect it will at least shift
towards higher resolution.

Cheers,

Ed.

--
"I'd jump in myself, if I weren't so good at whistling."
                               Julian, King of Lemurs