On Wednesday, 31 August 2011, Jan Dohnalek wrote:
> Wasn't the original question directed to our (growing) feeling that many
> times PISA says No obvious oligomerization pattern but we already have
> evidence of dimer formation etc..
> This should happen "occasionally" as the approach implied in the
> calculations is statistical in a sense. We should not be getting such
> contradictions on a regular basis.

I think there are at least two possibilities

1) the interface seen in the crystal is a real dimer interface,
   but the PISA score fails to rate it as significant

2) the protein has crystallized as a monomer even though it
   [sometimes] exists in solution as a dimer.  The interface
   seen in the crystal is not the "real" dimer interface and
   thus the PISA score is correct.

I have no idea which, if either, of these might be the case for 1OYA.

        Ethan