        From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of
Ravi Nookala
        Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:31 AM
        To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
        Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] very informative - Trends in Data Fabrication

        The sad situation is that more and more scientists are becoming
desperate (for funding or tenure or both) and are told 'publish or perish';
they become obsessed with impact factors, sensationalise the data in the
process (be it complete fabrication or 'massaging' the results) and rush to
publish to be the 'first' to do so.

        This was recently highlighted in the following article:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v483/n7391/full/483531a.html

        I personally think that whole review process should be open and
transparent where the coordinates are available for everyone to see (after
deposition and with authors' consent) along with the names and comments of the
reviewers. If sloppy mistakes are made (deliberately or otherwise), they will
be picked up by the wider scientific community if not the reviewers.

        Regards
        Ravi