Dear Ron,

Quite so, and who cannot laugh at the Yes Minister perfect hospital ward
operating theatre sketch ( Thankyou James W).

Anyway:-
Let's not get too hung up on one detail of your point 3. Your various points,
including point 3, added several missing elements in this CCp4bb thread.

Overall what I am saying is that to me it is good that my University at least
is gearing up to provide a local Data Archive service which, since I wish to
link my raw data sets in future to my publications via doi registrations, this
will give a longevity to them that I cannot guarantee with a 'my raw data are
in my desk drawer' approach. These could be useful in future reuse ie:- I see
various improvements to understanding diffuse scattering and, secondly,  to
squeezing more diffraction resolution out of the Bragg data as computer
hardware and software both improve. Once in my career I nearly made a mistake
on a space group choice ( I wrote it up as an educational story in 1996 in Acta
D); if I had made that mistake the literature would finally have caught up i
suppose and said :- where are the raw data, let's check that space group
choice. This latter type of challenge of course is catchable via depositing
processed Bragg data as triclinic; it probably doesn't need raw images. Finally
I have a project that I have worked for some years on now to solve the
structure; there are two, possibly several , crystal lattices and diffuse
streaks. If  I have to finally give up I will make them available via doi on my
a university raw data archive; meanwhile of course we make new protein and
recrystallise etc, the other approach!

Greetings,
John

Prof John R Helliwell DSc FInstP CPhys FRSC CChem F Soc Biol.
Chair School of Chemistry, University of Manchester, Athena Swan Team.
http://www.chemistry.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/athena/index.html