Hi Fred,

I'll go public on this one. This happened to me. I will not reveal who reviewed
my paper and which paper it was only that your naive assumption might not
always be correct. I have learned my lesson and exclude people with overlapping
interests (even though they actually might be the best critical reviewers for
your work). Unfortunately you don't really have control if the journal still
decides to pick those excluded reviewers.
As a suggestion to people out there, make sure to not encrypt your comments as
pdf and PW protect them - that's how I found out about the identity of the
reviewer - as it couldn't be changed by the journal.

I agree though that it shouldn't happen and I hope it only happens in very few
cases.

Jürgen