Hi Ed,

Ed Pozharski wrote:

An interesting thing happens when I do that. What used to be a
systematic error of pipetting now becomes statistical error, because my
experiment now includes reproducing dilution of the stock. In a
nutshell,

Whether a particular source of error contributes to accuracy or
precision of an experiment depends on how experiment is conducted.

My take on it is slightly different - the difference seems to be more on how the source of error is modeled (although that may dictate changes to the experiment) rather than essentially depending on how the experiment was conducted.

Or (possibly) more clearly, systematic error is a result of the model of the experiment incorrectly reflecting the actual experiment; measurement error is due to living in a non-deterministic universe.

Of course, there could be better ways of looking at it that I'm missing.

Pete