Tim,

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 18:51 +0100, Tim Gruene wrote:
> I don't share your opinion about a single measurement translating into
> a systematic error. I would call it a poorly designed experiment in
> case you were actually iterested in how accurately you determined the
> protein concentration.

OK.  As I said, this is not about protein concentration, but let's say I
only have about 6ul of protein sample, so that I can only have *one*
dilution.  Would pipetting uncertainty then be considered systematic
error or statistical error?

I am afraid this is a matter of unsettled definitions.  By the way, it
wasn't an opinion, more of an option in interpretation.  I can say that
whatever is not sampled in a particular experimental setup is systematic
error.  Or I can say that (as you seem to suggest, and I like this
option better) that whenever there is a theoretical possibility of
sampling something, it is statistical error even though the particular
setup does not allow accounting for it.

Ed.

--
"Hurry up before we all come back to our senses!"
                           Julian, King of Lemurs