That's quite brave - shipping your entire structure to people that could be actual competitors. But it was fun to play at 1.4 Angstrom over lunch.

Practical points:

* not everyone loves 12Mb of attachments in one email in their inbox, so if you do this again please put the files on a webserver and point us there

Structural points:

* the map looks pretty good, but I think the sequence is misassigned in some regions (e.g. A118-A122 etc). Automation is a good tool but a poor master, and extreme caution is required before taking the results too literally. Usually you'd expect a 1.4 Angstrom to be easy to autobuild but I recently had a sequence misassignment at just that resolution. That map was trivial to interpret with the correct sequence however - one of the joys of working with Arp/wArp at 1.4 Angstrom.

* the large number of positive difference density blobs and water molecules clustered in what otherwise would be the solvent void strongly suggest that there's a second molecule present.

If I take redfluorescentprotein_refine_10.pdb (waters removed) and exptl_fobs_phases_freeR_flags.mtz and ask Phaser to look for two molecules, it finds them quite successfully. (for the record an LLG of 15111 using nominal sequence identity of 90%). I will send this to you off-list. Please note that Phaser is using a different origin for this molecular replacement solution so the coordinates and your previous map do not overlap.

This rather nicely explains why your structure had an R-factor in the 40's despite being a half-way decent model. The new MR solution has an R-free in the 30's in the phenix.refine job I'm running right now.

Going forward I suggest you utilize the Arp/wArp program to autobuild your structure for you, starting from the molecular replacement solution (or, perhaps with it stripped to ALA). While you could use Autobuild, this is the CCP4 list and so you should use CCP4 programs.

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton