Hi Phoebe,

Another possibility is the Emulsiflex (from Avestin, in canada). Not a
cheap piece of equipment, but very sturdy and efficient to up to 200 mL of
extract (runs on house-air). Can deal with E coli (and even yeast if you
have the models with internal compressor). It comes in 3 sizes I think we
have the middle one (C-3) with a compressor. It is basically a french press
but without the inconvenient of being french (I am french myself). It is
quite gentle, and does not overheat samples as much as the sonicator. We
make a lot of membrane protein purifications and I have been working with
this since my post-doc
Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Pascal Egea