Shape of the diffraction spots changes in the statistical disorder <-->
> twinning continuum. At both ends spots shape is like in diffraction from
crystals without such disorder. However, in the intermediate case,
electron density autocorrelation function has additional component to
one resulting from ordered crystal. This additional component of
autocorrelation creates characteristic non-Bragg diffraction, e.g.
streaks aligned with particular unit cell axis.

In the absence of such diffraction pattern, the ambiguity is binary. The
description of the problem indicates statistical disorder.

Zbyszek Otwinowski

> [...]
>> is safe, but the others are all suspect..
>>

>> On 11 March 2014 14:09, Eleanor Dodson <eleanor.dod...@york.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>> What is the NC translation? If there is a factor of 0.5 that makes SG
>> determination complicated..
>> Eleanor
>>

>> On 11 March 2014 14:04, Stephen Cusack <cus...@embl.fr> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>     I have 2.6 A data and unambiguous molecular replacement solution for
>> two copies/asymmetric unit of a 80 K protein for a crystal
>> integrated
>> in P212121 (R-merge around 9%) with a=101.8, b=132.2, c=138.9.
>> Refinement allowed rebuilding/completion of the model in the noraml way
>> but the R-free does not go below 30%. The map in the model regions looks
>> generally fine but  there is a lot
>> of extra positive density in the solvent regions (some of it looking
>> like weak density for helices and strands)  and unexpected positive
>> peaks within the model region.
>> Careful inspection allowed manual positioning of a completely different,
>> overlapping solution for the dimer which fits the extra density
>> perfectly.
>> The two incompatible solutions are related by a 2-fold axis parallel to
>> a.
>> This clearly suggests some kind of twinning. However twinning analysis
>> programmes (e.g. Phenix-Xtriage), while suggesting the potentiality
>> of pseudo-merohedral twinning (-h, l, k) do not reveal
>> any significant twinning fraction and proclaim the data likely to be
>> untwinned. (NB. The programmes do however highlight a
>> non-crystallographic translation and there are systematic intensity
>> differences in the data). Refinement, including this twinning law made
>> no difference
>> since the estimated twinning fraction was 0.02. Yet the extra density is
>> clearly there and I know exactly the real-space transformation between
>> the two packing solutions.
>> How can I best take into account this alternative solution (occupancy
>> seems to be around 20-30%) in the refinement ?
>> thanks for your suggestions
>> Stephen
>>
>> --

>> Dr. Stephen Cusack,
>> Head of Grenoble Outstation of EMBL
>> Group leader in structural biology of protein-RNA complexes and viral
>> proteins
>> Joint appointment in EMBL Genome Biology Programme
>> Director of CNRS-UJF-EMBL International Unit (UMI 3265) for Virus Host
>> Cell Interactions (UVHCI)
>>
>> Email:  cus...@embl.fr
>> Website: http://www.embl.fr
>> Tel:    (33) 4 76 20 7238    Secretary (33) 4 76 20 7123
>> Fax:    (33) 4 76 20 7199
>> Postal address:   EMBL Grenoble Outstation, 6 Rue Jules Horowitz, BP181,
>> 38042 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
>> Delivery address: EMBL Grenoble Outstation, Polygone Scientifique,
>>                   6 Rue Jules Horowitz, 38042 Grenoble, France

Zbyszek Otwinowski
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
Tel. 214-645-6385
Fax. 214-645-6353