>For any sample, crystalline or not, a generally valid description of
>diffraction intensity is it being a Fourier transform of electron density
>autocorrelation function.

I thought for non-crystalline samples diffraction intensity is simply the
Fourier transform of the electron density, not its autocorrelation function. Is
that wrong?

Anyway, regarding spot streaking, perhaps there is a different, simpler
formulation for how they arise, based on the two phenomena:

(1) Crystal lattice convoluted with periodic contents, e.g., protein structure
in exactly the same orientation
(2) Crystal lattice convoluted with aperiodic contents, e.g. n different
conformations of a protein loop, randomly sprinkled in the lattice.

Option (1) makes normal spots. If there is a lot of scattering material doing
(2), then streaks arise due to many "super-cells" occurring, each with an
integral number of unit cells, and following a Poisson distribution with regard
to frequency according to the number of distinct conformations. Anyway, I
thought of this because it might be related to scattering from aperiodic
crystals, in which there is no concept of unit cell as far as I know (just
frequent distances), which makes them really interesting for thinking about
diffraction.

See the images here of an aperiodic lattice and its Fourier transform, if
interested:

http://postimg.org/gallery/1fowdm00/

>Mosaicity is a very different phenomenon. It describes a range of angular
>alignments of microcrystals with the same unit cell within the sample. It
>broadens diffraction peaks by the same angle irrespective of the data
>resolution, but it cannot change the length of diffraction vector for each
>Bragg reflection. For this reason, the elongation of the spot on the detector
>resulting from mosaicity will be always perpendicular to the diffraction
>vector. This is distinct from the statistical disorder, where spot elongation
>will be aligned with the crystal lattice and not the detector plane.

I have been convinced by some elegant, carefully-thought-out papers that this
"microcrystal" conception of the data-processing constant "mosaicity" is
basically wrong, and that the primary factor responsible for observed mosaicity
is discrepancies in unit cell constants, and not the "microcrystal" picture. I
think maybe you are referring here to theoretical mosaicity and not the fitting
parameter, so I am not contradicting you. I have seen recently an EM study of
protein microcrystals which seems to show actual tilted mosaic domains just as
you describe, and can find the reference if desired.

>Presence of multiple, similar unit cells in the sample is completely different
>and unrelated condition to statistical disorder.

Agreed!

Jacob