Not sure I understand why having statistical disorder makes for streaks--does
the crystal then have a whole range of unit cell constants, with the spot at
the most prevalent value, and the streaks are the "tails" of the distribution?
If so, doesn't having the streak imply a really wide range of constants? And
how would this be different from mosaicity? My guess is that this is not the
right picture, and this is indeed roughly what mosaicity is.

Alternatively, perhaps the streaks are interpreted as the result of a duality
between the "unit cell," which yields spots, and a "super cell" which is so
large that it yields extremely close "spots" which are indistinguishable from
lines/streaks. Usually this potential super cell is squelched by destructive
interference due to each component unit cell being very nearly identical, but
here the destructive interference doesn't happen because each component unit
cell differs quite a bit from its fellows.

And I guess in the latter case the "supercell" would have its cell constant (in
the direction of the streaks) equal to (or a function of) the coherence length
of the incident radiation?

I know some attempts have been (successfully) made to use diffuse scattering,
but has anyone used the streak intensities to determine interesting features of
the crystallized protein?

JPK