Hi Peter,

Try to think of it as a quantum chemist:
What you call H+ is not "H+ floating in space". They are hydrogens bound to the
rest of the structure by means of electrons. These electrons can be described
by wave functions, which relate to probabilities where they (electrons) might
be.

If we consider for simplicity water, we learn in a simple model that each O-H
bond contains two electrons. On average, they "like to be" closer to O and than
to H. But it does not mean "H has none".

You need high-quality, high-resolution data to actually visualize this and in
small molecule work this is commonly done. In macromolecular work not so much,
but my search easily found an example (see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC16211/ for Crambin) where you can
"see" the electrons between N and H in the backbone.

The main difference between what you think of as H+ and H- is one and two
bonds, respectively. The density in their figures does not look all that
different, but says "something should be here". We then propose H in the
location and show that it adequately explains the experimental data.

HTH

Mark