From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Pavel Afonine
<pafon...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:03:49 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Issue with high Rfree (0.25) for a high-resolution
dataset (1.05 Ang)

Hi Tony,

I always feel some people are too "greedy" with the resolution they want to
achieve. I mostly find that extremely high density is a pain to work with as
it's usually accompanied by many dual, triple conformers, a lot of noise in the
solvent phase that is often difficult to interpret, etc... Often you spend more
time on a high resolution structure that clearly shows your protein, as opposed
to a low resolution structure where it's difficult to interpret parts of the
map. Also, in most cases you REALLY don't need a 1 Ang map to clearly show the
overall structure of your protein, ligands, first shell of solvent molecules on
the surface of your protein, etc...

higher resolution typically means you have a chance to obtain a more accurate
atomic model of a crystal structure, which in turn may lead to a more accurate
interpretation of this model. I fully agree that high resolution requires more
modeling effort. There is still a great room for software developers to provide
more automation.

Your completeness is 90% in your high resolution shell, which is fine, but have
you checked you can clearly see most reflections for h, k and l? Maybe you're
missing many reflections for one of them. I would at least try cutting your
data back to 1.1 or 1.2 Ang, as it might dramatically improve your R factors
and still show everything you want to show.

Also, did you try TLS refinement?

At resolutions like 1.2A or better one normally models ADPs as anisotropic for
all atoms (except H), so no need to use TLS.

Pavel