Dear Shubhashish,

in most cases the "just doing rigid body refinement" is working. But, depending on the space group, there are multiple possibilities for indexing the same set of reflections and then your simple refinement strategy will fail. Check the section "Alternative indexing" in the file https://www.ccp4.ac.uk/schools/DLS-2015/course_material/Datareduction2015.pdf for an example.

So, if the space group is indeed the same make sure that you use a dataset of one of the crystals of the native protein as a reference in the indexing step. It is also possible to provide it as reference in the scaling step with AIMLESS. POINTLESS is normally run before the actual scaling process and it will compare your data with the reference and will use the correct indexing scheme.

Cheers,
Renato

Zitat von "Mark J. van Raaij" <mjvanra...@cnb.csic.es>:

if the spacegroup is the same as wt and the cell params are similar, just do rigid body refinement and forget about MR (I’ll never understand people running MR needlessly in these cases…apart from wasting computer time it risks placing the new solution in a different place than the wt) if the spacegroup is different, check cell parameters in the pdb and/or run Contaminer to see if you’ve crystallised a contaminant try MR with packing restraints relaxed or switched off, just in case the mutant has loop in a new orientation that might clash with crystal neighbours in the old orientation.

Mark J van Raaij
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC
calle Darwin 3