Dear Rafal,

Apologies my email client rather scrambled the text from my previous message,
so I will send again here

Please find attached (in the previous message!) a restraint CIF file and a
corresponding PDB file for your FESAN ligand.

Details:

Your ligand FESAN is a difficult test case for all restraint generation and
refinement programs. It combines two carborane groups with a charged iron atom.
Carborane groups have unusual chemistry that does not conform to normal valence
models (they have carbon atoms bonded to six other atoms). Combining these
groups with an iron atom that is bonded to 12 other atoms makes things even
more complicated. Starting from a SMILES string is not wise for such a molecule.

Fortunately, such chemistry can be handled by the Grade2 restraint generator,
that is supplied with BUSTER:

https://gphl.gitlab.io/grade2_docs/ <https://gphl.gitlab.io/grade2_docs/>
Starting from the PDB file you supplied I converted to MOL2 format using CSD
Mercury. Grade2 can read the MOL2 file and produce restraints (despite RDKit
not being able to handle carboranes). All bond restraints are based on Mogul
searches of CSD small molecule structures.

I manually edited the restraint CIF because there were too many bond angles to
be useful. In the carborane cluster, each non-hydrogen atom is bonded to 5
others to form an icosahedral shell, so that the bond length restraints alone
are sufficient to fully define the geometry since all angles are implied.
Additional bond angle restraints both within the cluster and for the
12-coordinated FE atom are unnecessary and likely to be counter-productive.

It appears from CSD entries that FESAN is a cation carrying an overall charge
of +1. But I did not correct this.

Please note that the atom names are slightly different from your PDB file as
the FE atom has an uppercase atom name.

Unfortunately, the current CCP4 distribution of Coot 0.8.9.2-pre EL (revision
count 7766) cannot cope this molecule as 'Send in the bond angels! Ahem I mean
"Regularize Zone (Click two atoms)' produces a lock-up using all the CPU that
has to be terminated by a kill. But you should be able to do a manual fit in
Coot. BUSTER has no difficulty refining a structure with such restraints, as
shown in this test using PDB entry 3I8W with FESAN replacing the CB5 ligand:

(Picture attached to previous message)
I hope that the restraint dictionary works for you.

All the best,

Oliver Smart, Andrew Sharff for BUSTER Developers.

> [...]
> cprodrg.exe        00007FF623CB3144  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
> KERNEL32.DLL       00007FFEB3447034  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
> ntdll.dll          00007FFEB4A22651  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
>
> -> I am still waiting for tokens from the prodrg web page ;) To be sure, I
> used two emails, but with no response...
>
> -> Ok, then I back to way I used years ago... JLigand was a good solution,
> but... actually it is not working at all. I'm working under Windows 10 /
> CCP4i, and I remember, there was the same issue in previous version of CCP4.
>
> -> Ok, then I back to the oldest solution -> using Sketcher. The program is
> reading my PDB/CIF, but gave a warning when preparing a library, and of
> course, no output _mon_lib.cif:
>
>  WARNING : monomer:FSM              - has a minimal description.
>  WARNING: there is no metal chirality for:Fe1
>  WARNING: coords are not good enough to create Chirality
>  WARNING :                  /subroutine CALC_VOBSN/
>
> I attached the PDB file containing the ligand of interest. From my knowledge,
> it looks correct, but maybe I'm wrong. Have you any idea, where is a problem?
>
> Best,
>
> Rafal
>
> ---
> |----------------------------------------------|
> |Rafal Dolot, Ph.D.                            |
> |                                              |
> |Polish Academy of Sciences                    |
> |Centre of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies|
> |Division of Bioorganic Chemistry              |
> |Macromolecular Crystallography Laboratory     |
> |Sienkiewicza 112                              |
> |90-363 Lodz, Poland                           |
> |Phone: +48(42)6803325                         |
> |Cell:  +48 502897781                          |
> |----------------------------------------------|
>

> W dniu 2022-06-06 14:52, Paul Emsley napisaƂ(a):
>> Although it may not be apparent, there has been a lot of work going on
>> in Acedrg development regarding Boron.
>> One cannot say the same for Coot though and I can reproduce the
>> behaviour reported by Rafa Dolot. If/when I can fix it, it will be
>> available in 0.9.8.4.
>> Paul.
>> On 06/06/2022 13:24, Boaz Shaanan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> In case you don't have a cif file for the ligand, I would load the
>>> SMILES expression into acedrg (or use any other input option) to
>>> create a cif file which you can then read into Coot.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Boaz
>>> On Jun 6, 2022 15:06, Rafal Dolot <rdo...@cbmm.lodz.pl> wrote:
>>> Dear CCP4 Users,
>>> I am working with data containing a possible complex of protein with
>>> FESAN (iron bis(1,2-dicarbollide)). Unfortunately, to my knowledge,
>>> this
>>> ligand is not available in PDB. The closest molecule is COSAN
>>> bis(1,2-dicarbollide)), which is labelled as CB5 and is available in