> As to why previously in a very similar condition you did get your desired
> protein plus (other) ligand

Kavya, did you use microseeding?  That's the way to get consistent results.

Since you're changing the ligand I suggest you go back and run a few random
screens (with crushed crystals of your protein with the other ligand) -
so-called microseed matrix-screening.

https://doi.org/10.1107/S0907444907007652

Good luck

Patrick

On Sat, Feb 4, 2023 at 10:32 PM Mark J. van Raaij <mjvanra...@cnb.csic.es>
wrote:

> [...]
> presume is also not a salt, a small cleaved peptide neither. As to why
> previously in a very similar condition you did get your desired protein
> plus (other) ligand crystal, it just means the molecule (TCEP')
> crystallises in a similar condition to your protein - I don’t think you can
> conclude much more than that (unless there is some other difference like
> the TCEP being older this time and more oxidised, for example).
>
> Mark J van Raaij
> Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas, lab 20B
> Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC
> calle Darwin 3
> E-28049 Madrid, Spain
> tel. +34 91 585 4616 (internal 432092)
> Section Editor Acta Crystallographica F
> https://journals.iucr.org/f/
>

> On 4 Feb 2023, at 15:48, kavyashreem <kavyashr...@instem.res.in> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Sorry for the confusion created, I did not mean that a protein would have
> fit in the small unit cell. My question was -
>
> 1. Why are there closely spaced spots arising in salt crystal?
>
> 2. If TCEP could crystallize in the condition, I have got a protein (same
> as this)+ligand (different ligand) complex in very close condition. (ligand
> size is within 500Da).
>
> Thank you
>
> Kavya
>

> On 2023-02-03 14:35, a.perra...@nki.nl wrote:
>
> Hi Kavya,
>
> Try https://csb.wfu.edu/tools/vmcalc/vm.html
>
> This tells you that a 30kD protein simply does not fit the cell.
>
> I am pretty sure you crystallised the ligand, or TCEP actually.
>
> Also, if you look at the diffractions pattern, its clear the crystal
> diffracts beyond 1.0A, diffraction spots are really very very very strong
> at 2.0A.
>

> On 3 Feb 2023, at 09:22, kavyashreem <kavyashr...@instem.res.in> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> We crystallized a protein (30kDa) + ligand (by cocrystallization), in the
> condition 10%PEG3350, 50mM Zinc acetate.
>
> Protein was in the buffer 20mM HEPES, 150mM NaCl, 1uM ZnCl2, 4mM TCEP, pH
> 8.
>
> Crystal:                             Crystal:
> crystal under UV m
>
> <b06fc576.png>     <e091c7fd.png>   <8ef9453e.png>
>
> When we collected the data at an in-house facility, it looked something
> like this:
>
> <b903961d.png>
>
> The minimum resolution spot is around 9Ang and maximum ~2.2Ang.
>
> I have not come across a protein diffraction like this, nor of a salt.
> When I ran the gel for the incubated protein (protein+ligand), there was no
> degradation.
>
> Although, I was sure there is some problem with this image I tried
> processing, which could not be, But indexing showed a unit cell  of 11Ang,
> 11Ang, 46Ang in P3. which was quite expected for two of the axes but not
> the third.
>
> Can anyone please shed some light on this diffraction image?

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Patrick Shaw Stewart, Peter Baldock, Stefan Kolek

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36