> On Oct 17, 2016, at 3:08 PM, Jason Howe <ja...@smbfc.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Guy Sotomayor Jr wrote:
>> Oh and did I mention that I?ve acquired (just need to move it) an IBM 4331
>> mainframe including *all* of the peripherals (3340 disk drives + lots of
>> packs, 1403 printer, IBM tape drives, card reader/punch, 029 keypunch,
>> manuals, terminals, etc, etc)?
>> TTFN - Guy
> That seems incredibly cool.  Can I ask how one comes by one of these and if
> they paid you to take it away or vice versa?

I’ve been on the lookout for IBM mainframes for a while.  I did manage to
acquire a fully functional Multiprise 3000 that was taken out of service and
stored.  I was incredibly lucky with that one as it was unmolested (it even
came to me in its original IBM shipping crate!).  I learned about the 4331 a
few years ago and I’d been asking if they were interested in “getting rid of
it”.  Every 6 months or so I would ask if they’d made a decision about getting
rid of it.  Finally about 2 months ago I got an email saying that they had
decided to get rid of it.  It’s been stored for a number of years even before I
found out about it but it has been stored properly.  I still imagine that
there’s going to be a fair amount of work to get it running again.  We’re still
working out arranging getting it shipped.

TTFN - Guy