From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-boun...@classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Guzis
via cctalk
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 9:17 PM
To: CCtalk
Subject: HP 7970B Capstan?

I've got an HP 7970 tape drive here that's a little dicey on its reading
(haven't tried writing yet).  One thing that I noticed today was that the
surface of the capstan is a bit powdery--wipe it with an alcohol swab and you
get a lot of black schmutz.

It wasn't very soft and it occurred to me that it might be slipping, so I
cleaned it off and treated it with some methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen).
 It's a bit softer now, but I'm wondering, for those of you who still have
functioning drives, how soft or "sticky/grippy" is right.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chuck