On 09/06/2017 09:41 AM, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
> On 09/06/2017 11:03 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> On 9/5/17 11:09 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>>
>>> The read results have improved considerably.
>> tension arm servo acting reasonably?
>>
>> what style arm sensor does your drive have?

The same as shown in the 7970B/C service manual--a semicircular slotted
metal disk attached to the sensor arm intersecting a photocell/lamp box.

Looking at the drive casting, it's marked as a Rev F DHB, if that means
anything.  Just judging by the CE notes scribbled on the inside of the
door, I'm guessing that this is a late model.    The write-enable sensor
assembly is different from that pictured in the service manual. The
sensor "finger" is attached to an L-shaped flat arm with two bolts for
adjustment.  I did replace the microswitch, as the lever arm had broken
off at some point.

> OK, so one of the first checks is to put a scope on the tach signal
> (should be a test point for that) and verify the velocity is a perfect
> trapezoid.  If there are regular spikes in the trace, that could
> indicate a problem in the tachometer.  If there are bobbles in the trace
> at jerk points, then adjusting the damping on the servo loop will help.
>
> Then, you need a tape written at known density, and read that, looking
> at a data track.  The best is a tape with long records of all ones,
> which puts transitions on all channels (in 800 BPI NRZI mode).  Adjust
> the right pot to set the data rate to the calculated value for that
> drive's tape speed.
>
> Then, move the scope to the skew test point.  The drive will have 9 FFs
> (one per track) and these go to a resistor summing point.  You should
> see nearly a square wave when skew is perfect, but will get much more
> slope with little steps on the flanks when skew is not good.  The
> all-ones tape is perfect for this adjustment.  You will see the shape of
> the signal fluctuate, as tape laying on the reel for some time will
> stretch just a bit, and tend to "weave" across the tape guides.  There
> will be adjusting screws to set the head skew to minimize this.
>
> All the above applies mostly to 800 BPI NRZI.  PE and GCR are far less
> critical on this.

Will do--I've mentioned in another message that I'm preparing a test
tape using the drive, so I should get some inkling of timing and
adjustments pretty quickly.

--Chuck