On 09/05/2017 10:47 PM, David Collins wrote:
> From my old HP CE days you could always get black off the capstan if
> you used alcohol or similar (never recommended). The key thing is it
> shouldn't be sticky/gooey.

I noticed the issue by starting a read from load point and observing
that the bit timing and data was all over the place until things came up
to speed. I was getting different data with each try.

I pulled the capstan off, cleaned the powdery stuff off with isopropanol
and gave it a 30 minute soak in methyl salicylate and isopropanol.   The
capstan comes out clean (no more shedding) and firm.

I also noticed that the bits of foam on the inside of the capstan had
degraded to goo.  I replaced those with some new foam.

The read results have improved considerably.   Not perfect, but much better.

--Chuck