On 28/04/2016 20:09, Danilo Schöneberg wrote:
> Moin,
>
> There is one system left I'm checking out the build for - Linux From
> Scratch. I'm building it right now (the system. Not CDE yet).
>
> I have ten days of vacation coming up,  I was thinking about what to do.
> I'm completely useless at sitting around idly for more than two days. So
> I was thinking about some ideas:
>
> 1) A CDE-based Live-CD
There was a Debian based Linux distribution called CDebian. I am unsure
whether it has kept current with CDE. There is a github page at
https://github.com/andarazoroflove/CDE-Projects

> 2) researching integration of some modern technologies (like automount
> of devices, udev, sound systems)
It is better to leave out sound systems. On Linux alone, one would
have to support ALSA, OSS, Jackd and PulseAudio.
> 3) "modernizing" some of the dt apps (mail, text editor, dtlogin)
> 4) code cleanup (warnings)
>
> What would be the preferred option from the team point of view? This
> also brings up another question. What is the long-term goal? Do we try
> to keep CDE running as it is or are there plans to actively develop it
> into a next generation? For instance, I would love to see some more
> applications developed (like a really good ftp client, image viewer,
> perhaps adding some HTML support to the mail client (either via XmHTML
> or maybe even webkit).
There was a LGPL licensed ftp client called AxyFTP using Motif and
DtWidget library
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Networking/FTP/axyftp-0.5.1/
There has been some messages in that mailing list about the Ida Motif
image viewer and its integration into CDE.
  All based on Motif of course. It has all a UI
> needs. It may look a bit dated, but I love it, much more than all the
> new-fangled stuff that blinks, beeps and dances, but gobbles up resources.
>
> One thing I noticed on my old Compaq nx8220, running NetBSD: CDE makes
> other DE's that were deliberately designed to be lightweight (LXDE,
> LXQT) look positively bloated and sluggish. It could really be an
> alternative on low-end systems.
There are some comparison of RAM usage of the different DEs (on Linux).
https://eerielinux.wordpress.com/tag/opencde/
LXDE and Razor-Qt use 10 to 40 MB more than CDE. That could contribute
to their slowness on an old machine.