Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Oct 19 11:07:31 2001

> >> This reads really funny!
> >>
> >> Cdrecord-ProDVD is available since February 1998 and you never
> >> asked for it.
>
> >Hmmm. Please show me a single web page where prodvd is mentioned.
>
> Google gives 6650 results for "cdrecord DVD"

I gives so many results because cdrecord(free version) states that
it writes DVD even if it does not. For example when writing a CD
it says "Starting to write CD/DVD at speed...". And this is the worst
thing, that only after few hours of hard search I realise that there
are two versions of cdrecord.

> Did you ever tried to search?
>
> >The only way you could find about it was from some mails and
> >if you had a dvd-writer, from output of cdrecord.
> >I did not wanted to buy a DVD writer until I knew that it will
> >work on Linux. So I could not run cdrecord to tell me that I
> >need to contact you to know more about dvdpro.
>
> Well I usually would look into the web. If you would have looked
> for DVD writing you would have had pointers to cdrecord-ProDVD.
>
> >Of course I have problems with the price. I don't use the dvd for
> >myself but for the company I work for. We could buy the drive for
> >about 550EURO and media for about 25(RW) and 15(R) EURO. I'm sure
> >that the prices will go down even more now with the introduction of
> >DVD+RW media and drives. So in not so long time the DVD writing will
> >be something possible for a home user. I these conditions not having
> >a free program for writing dvds on a free OS is realy a bad thing.
> >This is why I decided that my company should not buy the prodvd from
> >you but to write a driver.
>
> A typical Linux user pays more for his Linux releases than a typical
> Solaris x86 user.

It depends what is a "typical Linux user" in your conception. I'm from
Romania, over there very few people(not companies) buys software.
But if you buy Solaris, you usualy buy it toghether with the hardware,
and I realy don't know how much do you pay for the software and how much
for the hardware.

mache