On 29/05/12 20:17, Michael Clerx wrote:
Dear all,

I'm glad to see uncertainty being taken into acount in cell models.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to add the scenario where no assumptions
are made about the uncertainty and a parameter value is simply given by
its upper and lower bounds.

I agree that there needs to be some way to handle that scenario. However, it might be that in most cases where people do that, a uniform distribution with upper and lower bounds will suffice - it seems to me that saying a random variable is distributed uniformly between an upper and lower bound is an explicit statement that the modeller knows that the value falls in certain bounds, but has no reason to believe it is any more likely to fall in one place within those bounds than anywhere else.

Such distributions already have a precedent of being used in Bayesian statistics as uninformative prior distributions.

Best wishes,
Andrew

kind regards,
Michael