Well it'd be tough to be a biblical literalist and also believe that
modern astronomy has any merrit... what with the Babylonian
representation of "the heavens and the earth" including a big
scaffolding over the earth that holds the sun, moon and stars in place
and has shutters to let in rain. That being said there's no reason a
person can't be both spiritual (I believe in the existence of
spiritual phenomena which modern science is unable to measure - it's
happened before that science has discovered previously unmeasureable
phenomena - whether all phenomena are physically measurable remains to
be seen), while at the same time believing in science (the Babylonian
interpretation is a hard sell after Niel Armstrong, so that leads me
to not being a biblical literalist).

> I have to disagree with this to a large degree. I'm
> religious and I don't see my
> religion stopping me from going forward. Everyone in my
> religious community has
> a computer, a car, a cell phone (ok, I don't, but....) and
> many are in technical
> jobs. There is no barrier stopping people from believing
> in scientific theories
> and religion.
> Note how he breaks it down though. science, reason and
> logic are against
> religion. That's BS. I learnt my logic through religion (a
> specific religious
> teacher), I'm reasonable and I know my science. None of
> this conflicts with my
> religion. None of it has to.


>> This may have already been covered, but it's from Robert
>> Reich's
>> column in the American Spectator:
>>
>> The great conflict of the 21st century will not be
>> between the West
>> and terrorism. Terrorism is a tactic, not a belief. The
>> true battle
>> will be between modern civilization and anti-modernists;
>> between those
>> who believe in the primacy of the individual and those
>> who believe
>> that human beings owe their allegiance and identity to a
>> higher
>> authority; between those who give priority to life in
>> this world and
>> those who believe that human life is mere preparation for
>> an existence
>> beyond life; between those who believe in science,
>> reason, and logic
>> and those who believe that truth is revealed through
>> Scripture and
>> religious dogma. Terrorism will disrupt and destroy
>> lives. But
>> terrorism itself is not the greatest danger we face.
>>
>>
>> I guess this really hits home with me.  I agree.  I feel
>> as if the
>> world is heading backwards towards reformation rather
>> than away from
>> it.


s. isaac dealey     954.927.5117
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework

http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=44477&DE=1
http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=45569&DE=1
http://www.fusiontap.com


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Purchase from House of Fusion, a Macromedia Authorized Affiliate and support the CF 
community.
http://www.houseoffusion.com/banners/view.cfm?bannerid=37

Message: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=i:5:132232
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/threads.cfm/5
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=s:5
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5
Donations & Support: http://www.houseoffusion.com/tiny.cfm/54

Reply via email to