On Tuesday, Jan 7, 2003, at 20:24 US/Pacific, Joshua Miller wrote:
> One thing I will offer as a suggestion is to dumb-down the installation
> proceedure for CFMXJ2EE on OSX. A lot of OSX users are still getting
> comfortable with the Terminal and it's still scary for a lot of
> developers who don't have a lot of experience with server installation
> and maintenance. Rather than running terminal sessions and editing
> config files, have an option for "basic install" that does all these
> things for you.

Could you give some specific examples about what needs to be improved
here?

I agree that being given a .jar file is not quite as user-friendly as
some people might expect but it really isn't that bad:

        java -jar coldfusion-j2ee-java.jar

(run through the GUI installer which dumps a CFMXJ2ee folder somewhere)

In JMC (JRun Management Console), Create New Server (e.g., cfmx).

Then:

        cd /Applications/JRun4/servers/cfmx
        jar xvf <path/to>/CFMXJ2ee/cfusion.war

Are you suggesting make all of this go away? Doing the manual install
is pretty flexible and that's what many Unix folks would expect...

Sean A Corfield -- Director, Architecture
Web Technology Group -- Macromedia, Inc.
tel: (415) 252-2287 -- cell: (415) 717-8473
aim/iChat: seancorfield -- http://www.macromedia.com
An Architect's View -- http://www.macromedia.com/go/arch_blog

ColdFusion MX and JRun 4 now available for Mac OS X!
http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2003/jrun_osx.html