Okay, I have to tell my story...

CERTIFICATION MADE MY BUSINESS!

Really.

This is how it happened.  I had started to work full time as a consultant
programmer, when a client told me that her shop was looking for a
Technology Director (CIO).  I polished my CV and applied.  I seemed to be a
good fit for the job. I had a nice interview with their search committee.

I didn't get the job.

It went to a guy with an MSCE.

Flash forward 16 months.  I have 2 1/2 employees and am doing great.  I get
a call from my client.

Bob the MSCE, who BTW had zero interest in computers, but wanted an easy
job, is leaving because the work is too hard.  He has accomplished not one
goal during his tenure and his major project, which was one month from
going live when he was hired, is still at square one.

Typical Bob story: Being a "hands on" kinda guy, he installed 9 servers in
his office.  Fortunately, it was close to the electrical panel.  The only
rub was that he couldn't get the temperature below 102 degrees.

Anyway, they want to know if I am still available.  When I stop laughing, I
reply that, no, I am not available as an employee, but we will take the
project on as a contractor.

I GIVE THANKS DAILY TO THE GODS OF CERTIFICATION!