From: Vince Bonfanti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 9:20 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF - PHP comparisons?

Hi Mike,

I tend to agree with your comments regarding the "richness" of PHP. If
you
do a straight comparison of PHP and CFML's built-in functions then they
seem
pretty equal. However, one thing that's changed in the CFML world with
the
introduction of CFMX and BlueDragon is that you now have seamless access
the full set of Java APIs from CFML. With the release of BlueDragon for
.NET
you'll similarly have seamless access to the full .NET Framework (APIs)
from
within CFML.

In effect, the set of CFML functions is being expanded to include all of
the
Java APIs or all of the .NET APIs, depending on which platform you
prefer.

It seems to me that since PHP is not built on either of the two major
"platform" technologies (Java or .NET), it's "richness" is going to
suffer
in comparison as CFML developers learn to take advantage of the
integration
with Java and .NET.

Also, look at the way CFMX leveraged the Java platform to implement web
services support (via Apache Axis). PHP is not going to be able to take
advantage of the underlying platform technology the way CFMX did;
instead
they're going to have to implement their own solution "from scratch". It
seems to me that this will be a major disadvantage of PHP.

Vince Bonfanti
New Atlanta Communications, LLC
http://www.newatlanta.com