Related to Ray's #3, if the number of configuration items is reasonably
small, you can pass them into the CFC's init() method, if you use one, and
then cache it in the CFC's instance variables.  That's how I usually do
DSNs:

<cfset application.dsn = "myDSN" />
<cfset application.myCFC = createObject(...) />
<cfset application.myCFC.init(application.dsn) />

---
Barney Boisvert, Senior Development Engineer
AudienceCentral
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice : 360.756.8080 x12
fax   : 360.647.5351