> Huh? So suggesting mixing VB.NET and C# to squeeze more power from a .NET
> app that is what, a crutch? And what about writing straight Java when JSP
> can't do enough?

I hate to take the other side of this argument, but I think your example is
flawed. There's no practical reason to use C# over VB.Net because they are
both 1st class .Net languages. In other words, neither language is more
powerful than the other. From what I've seen, you could convert a VB.Net app
to C# with a search and replace.

This is in contrast to the jump from CFML to Java, which is relatively huge.
You're going from a dynamic/weakly typed, quasi-markup scripting language to
a static/strongly typed, C-style compiled language. And that's not counting
the shift from procedural programming to object oriented programming. You
simply can't expect most ColdFusion developers to make the jump from
ColdFusion to Java.

That said, I think that, for most people, the barrier to entry for VB.Net/C#
is greater than that for ColdFusion. However, once you've made that jump,
the .Net framework provides a tremendous amount of functionality.
Nevertheless, as opposed to constructs like <cffile action="upload">, the
.Net framework is not necessarily Web friendly. You have to write a lot of
implementation code in ASP.Net that you don't have to write in ColdFusion.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057