I'm not very clear on this var thing in as much as
<cfset Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver")>
works, but
<cfset var Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver")>
throws the error: You cannot use a variable reference with "." operators in
this context

hence some vars are not scoped locally.

Yes, I can convert it into a cfquery object, and a lot of the time I will,
but I also want to be able to insert the data into another table in another
db which I can do directly rather than converting it to a query first.

Hence the reason to split it into separate methods.

Sage line 100 is an ancient beast and I would use a normal cf datasource if
I could, but it doesn't work in cf8 hence the reason for doing it manually,
which does.

Regards

Richard