> It's been suggested that the dev dept at our company (of 
> which I am a part) get rid of our desktop machines and 
> replace them with laptops. I'd like to run it past you guys 
> and see what you thought about good, beefy development 
> machines. Here's a partial list of the things that would need 
> to run on each machine:
> 
> * 2-4 concurrent instances of JVM (and ColdFusion) - a 
> "sites" instance, a "control panel" instance for our current 
> code, and a sites, and control instance for a new set of code 
> we're developing.
> * Eclipse with mutliple projects, each containing potentially 
> thousands of files
> * Flex
> * In at least my case, Photoshop and Flash CS3.
> * Any number of business style apps (outlook, browsers, 
> office apps, etc.)
> 
> Can any of you recommend high quality laptops that meet these 
> criteria? We'd probably also be getting external monitors as 
> well, but that's a little easier to define. I'd just like 
> input from you guys as I'm sure that SOME of you are using 
> laptops as your primary machines.

Any decent "desktop replacement" laptop can do this easily. Even some of the
more portable machines can do this very well. We have several Lenovo
Thinkpads (X61s, I think, but I'm not sure offhand), and they have a
fantastic level of build quality.

Macs can do all this too, although a lot of Flash developers seem to be
unsatisfied with the performance of the Flash IDE on OS X.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Software provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized
instruction at our training centers in Washington DC, Atlanta,
Chicago, Baltimore, Northern Virginia, or on-site at your location.
Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more information!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;207172674;29440083;f

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:313129
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Reply via email to