Andy Matthews wrote:
> It's been suggested that the dev dept at our company (of which I am a part)
> get rid of our desktop machines and replace them with laptops. I'd like to
> run it past you guys and see what you thought about good, beefy development
> machines.

How mobile is your team? Will they actually take their laptops somewhere
or will they just remain on a desk? If they are meant to be portable,
don't go beyond a 15.4" screen (and that is bad enough already).

> Here's a partial list of the things that would need to run on each machine:
>
> * 2-4 concurrent instances of JVM (and ColdFusion) - a "sites" instance, a
> "control panel" instance for our current code, and a sites, and control
> instance for a new set of code we're developing.

4 concurrent instances is a lot. I may have 12 JRun and 2 JBoss
instances on my laptop, but I never run more then 2 at the same time.

> Can any of you recommend high quality laptops that meet these criteria?

If you want quality nothing beats a Lenovo Thinkpad. They have plenty of
models that meet your performance requirements.

Jochem