hehe.... i knew that bit was gonna catch a mac person's attention :)

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:47 PM, J.J. Merrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Andy,
>
> Could you expand on the small apps that you need? I am just curious as
> to what they are. I made the switch back in Feb and have found that
> 99% of my needs have been met... the 1% is for TortoiseSVN :-)
>
>
>
> J.J.
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Andy Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > @Jochem...unlikely that we'd have all 4 concurrent, but it's possible.
> > Probably not for long periods of time though. Mostly working from desks,
> but
> > I would be doing graphics work ala Photoshop and Flash, and screen real
> > estate is of crucial importance. I'd rather deal with the additional
> weight,
> > and size, of a 17" laptop than have to deal with a smaller screen.
> >
> > @Jim/JJ...we could ask for MBPs (whether we get them or not, I'm not
> sure).
> > I will say that I'm considering it, but will likely stick with a PC
> because
> > of several small, but crucial, features that a PC has which OSX does not.
> >
> > We'll proably be going with high end Dell XPS or Alienware machines.
> We'll
> > see though.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone for their input.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 3:51 PM
> > To: cf-talk
> > Subject: Re: (ot) Best development laptop
> >
> > Andy Matthews wrote:
> >> It's been suggested that the dev dept at our company (of which I am a
> > part) get rid of our desktop machines and replace them with laptops. I'd
> > like to run it past you guys and see what you thought about good, beefy
> > development machines.
> >
> > How mobile is your team? Will they actually take their laptops somewhere
> or
> > will they just remain on a desk? If they are meant to be portable, don't
> go
> > beyond a 15.4" screen (and that is bad enough already).
> >
> >
> >> Here's a partial list of the things that would need to run on each
> > machine:
> >>
> >> * 2-4 concurrent instances of JVM (and ColdFusion) - a "sites" instance,
> a
> > "control panel" instance for our current code, and a sites, and control
> > instance for a new set of code we're developing.
> >
> > 4 concurrent instances is a lot. I may have 12 JRun and 2 JBoss instances
> on
> > my laptop, but I never run more then 2 at the same time.
> >
> >
> >> Can any of you recommend high quality laptops that meet these criteria?
> >
> > If you want quality nothing beats a Lenovo Thinkpad. They have plenty of
> > models that meet your performance requirements.
> >
> > Jochem
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;207172674;29440083;f

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:313166
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Reply via email to