From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 3:51 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: (ot) Best development laptop

Andy Matthews wrote:
> It's been suggested that the dev dept at our company (of which I am a
part) get rid of our desktop machines and replace them with laptops. I'd
like to run it past you guys and see what you thought about good, beefy
development machines.

How mobile is your team? Will they actually take their laptops somewhere or
will they just remain on a desk? If they are meant to be portable, don't go
beyond a 15.4" screen (and that is bad enough already).

> Here's a partial list of the things that would need to run on each
machine:

> * 2-4 concurrent instances of JVM (and ColdFusion) - a "sites" instance, a
"control panel" instance for our current code, and a sites, and control
instance for a new set of code we're developing.

4 concurrent instances is a lot. I may have 12 JRun and 2 JBoss instances on
my laptop, but I never run more then 2 at the same time.

> Can any of you recommend high quality laptops that meet these criteria?

If you want quality nothing beats a Lenovo Thinkpad. They have plenty of
models that meet your performance requirements.

Jochem