From: Rick Root [mailto:rick.r...@webworksllc.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 7:15 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: JVM Tuning and Garbage Collection

I've taken advice from several of you and restarted my services... so
far so good.

I lowed the memory on each instance to 768m - min and max - and added
the garbage collection interval.  I also increased the maxpermsize

java.args=-server -Xmx768m -Xms768m -Dmail.host=www.classcreator.com
-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home}/

Oops.. I just noticed that I accidentally left the GC method to
UseConcMarkSweepGC .. I didn't intend for that as I switched it to that
last friday night, and monday when activity picked up I was in hell...
switched back to UseParallelGC Tuesday morning, and things smoothed out
considerably.

So far, things are running pretty smoothly.  Garbage collection does not
seem to be causing any problems.  I am still seeing these weird,
rhythmic activity spikes where every 13-14 minutes, my request activity
graph skyrockets to 20 active requests, while it usually hovers around
2-3 active requests (while processing anywhere from 5-10 requests per
second)

NEXT STEP:  I'm going to upgrade from the JVM that shipped with CF 8 to
the latest 1.6.0_12

At the same time as these request spikes, I see JDBC time spikes.  A
significant spike of requests could slow down the database server, so
this makes sense to me.  Alternatively, a temporary slowdown on the
database server could also lead to a slowdown of request processing
which would lead to the "piling up" of requests.

HOWEVER, I haven't seen anything particularly unusual on the database
server that would cause these rhythmic spikes in activity.  No scheduled
tasks running every 13 minutes, etc.

I am having Cacti installed so we can better monitor CPU and disk
activity on our servers so hopefully that will help me problem solve!

Anyway, thanks all, I appreciate your input.

Rick